In 2017 we visited Eldene and West Health Centres to find out more about the range of services provided, to compare the experience of users, patients and staff with that at other practices and to make practical recommendations about physical aspects.
Summary of findings
- We were courteously received by staff at both centres who went out of their way to show us around and introduce us to colleagues from different services on the premises at the time.
- Eldene health centre was busier than West Swindon when we visited. The dental service and GP practice had a constant flow of patients and a pain management group was meeting in one room which we did not visit.
- We received only positive comments from the small number of patients we spoke to about the services provided. We also received two positive comments in writing in response to our bulletin and social media requests.
- We have made recommendations about access and signage at both centres.
- We have made recommendations about the general appearance, upkeep and display of information – more particularly at West Swindon Health Centre.
- We have made recommendations about the provision of public information about both centres. This recommendation may apply to Wroughton Health Centre and to the new Swindon Health Centre – the opening of which in May 2017 could be an opportunity to explain and promote all the services provided in all Swindon health centres.