Advice on benefits if you are self-isolating

Have you have been told to self-isolate because of coronavirus (Covid-19), but you cannot work from home? If you have questions about your rights and entitlements, help is available. Find out more.
Swindon its up to all of us logo

You may be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if:

  • you have coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • you have coronavirus symptoms
  • someone in your household has coronavirus symptoms
  • you have been advised to stay at home by your doctor because of an underlying health condition
  • you have been told to self-isolate by a doctor or NHS 111
  • you have been told to self-isolate by a government 'test and trace' service

You can claim SSP even if you are employed on a zero hours contract or employed as an agency worker, as long as you meet the qualifying rules.

If you cannot claim SSP you may be able to claim other benefits such as Universal Credit or ESA.

If you are already in receipt of benefits, you may be entitled to additional money if your circumstances have changed, or you may be able to apply for Universal Credit.

More information and frequently asked questions are available on the Swindon Borough Council website

Before you apply for Universal Credit you should seek advice on whether this is the right benefit for you as it may affect how much money you get when you return to work.

Getting advice

You can also get advice from Citizens Advice Swindon by calling 03444994114, email or visiting


Frequently Asked Questions

If you have been told to self-isolate because of coronavirus (COVID-19) and you cannot work from home then you need to know your rights and entitlements.

A set of FAQs have been put together by Citizens Advice Swindon to help answer some of your questions.

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information